On Getting Ahead
- The one sure way to get ahead is to seek out and take care of other people´s needs.
- It should be a goal to leave everyone who comes in contact with you better off for having had that contact with you.
- The way to get other people to do what you want is to use the dynamite tool of TNT:
- Trustworthiness is established
- Needs of others are identified
- Triumph is achieved with a solution to their needs
- The keys to success are to have several passions, develop areas of interest that you know more about than others, and use TNT.
- If when you meet someone, you use their name and focus on them with intensity for 60 seconds, they will remember you for years.
- If you want positive results, start all written communications with the word “you”. That’s what the recipient is most interested in.
- An employer´s highest obligation is to provide meaningful, rewarding work in an atmosphere of civility and respect.
- Responsible leaders are careful with their power.
- If you want to test someone´s character don´t give them adversity, give them power. That is the true test of character.
- Unless you´ve solicited and received "creative disagreement", you probably don´t understand all sides of the issue and are not ready to make a decision.
- Good crew coordination means challenging the captain when they are about to make a mistake. A good captain is thankful for the challenge.
- Experts make as many errors as novices—they have just become better at catching and correcting them.
- Sometimes the riskiest thing to do is not to take a risk.
- Failure is wasted if you don´t take responsibility for it.
On Managing Yourself
- Doing things that matter to lots of people means that there will be many opinions of you—some will be unfavorable no matter how good a job you do.
- You can’t control all the things that happen to you, but you can control how you respond to them
- Anger is a totally counter-productive and destructive emotion. Attempting to “get it out of your system” by expressing it only prolongs and heightens the emotion.
- Don’t take insults and indignities personally—it is a reflection on them not on you.
- Verbal attacks are a compliment; no one will bother to disparage someone that doesn’t matter to them.